Gary,

There are a good number of extremely loaded “pre-owned” K3 and K3S units
available these days.  I’ve seen a bare bones K3 for a little as $1300 USD and
I sold my completely loaded contesting K3s for barely over $2000 so a GREAT
deal can be had.  It would be worth the risk of an eBay purchase to pick up one
of these units and load it up with upgrades/accessories.   Some of the sales on
eBay are rigs of estate sales and the seller has no clue what he is selling.
One guy had a description of a K3 “receiver” so I asked him if the transmitter
wasn’t working…he didn’t know it could transmit.  Maybe it couldn’t but it was
so cheap that buying it and sending it in for repair would be very reasonable
if I couldn’t have fixed it myself.

I don’t know if you have kept up with all the upgrades that were available for
your #679 over the years but I had #234 and #5xx something that were all
brought up to current standards.  You would need some pretty good test
equipment to notice much of a performance difference between them and new K3S.
They were VERY competitive and still are for someone else while I’m waiting on
a pair of K4s to replace them.

If I end up not liking my new K4s (not very likely), I always know I can sell
them and revert back to “pre-owned” K3 models and probably make money.  😉.

Good luck,

Bob K5WA