Speaking of pricing shock, two weeks ago I took, "Sparky", my little 18-pound Poodle-mix dog to his favorite dog park.  Inside the enclosure there is a half-buried piece of 3-foot diameter concrete pipe that makes a tunnel for the dogs to run through.  He ran in and immediately yipped, came out and ran to the far end of the enclosure faster that I've ever seen him go.  I ran to the pipe and discovered a very agitated Diamondback rattlesnake, buzzing away.  I gathered up Sparky and discovered puncture wounds right on his snout.

Fortunately, our vet's office was ten minutes away.  They are using "curb service" with the virus issue so they took in the dog and my credit card.  Once they ran the card for a $1K deposit they began treatment.  Several days and nights of agony for us and the dog later, he is doing fine with just a couple of scabs left on the nose.  The final cost was $3,200, almost exactly the price I paid for my K3S.

Wes  N7WS

  On 6/15/2020 8:32 PM, Charlie T wrote:
I don't understand the "shock" at the K4 pricing.

If you "load-up" a K3S with all the options you'd have to buy that are
included in the K4,  AND add a P3,  with VGA & transmit monitor,
  I think you'll find the K4 is a BARGAIN!

73, Charlie k3ICH

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Wayne Burdick
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2020 11:24 PM
To: Gary Gregory <vk1zzg...@gmail.com>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3s discontinued?

Gary, VK1ZZ, wrote:

I was hoping to add a K3s to my current setup (K3 #679) but that
appears to be out of the question dammit.

Hi Gary,

We sold the last K3S, I believe, but we'll have a number of upgraded, fully
warranted K3's available for purchase on the web site sometime soon. Some
were used for DXpeditions.

Was there a reason why the K3s was discontinued?
Yes; we felt it was time to create a new, hybrid SDR with a large,
integrated touch screen and virtually unlimited hardware/software expansion
capability.

The K3/K3S had a good run -- over 12 years. During that time we created many
options and accessories and released dozens of free firmware upgrades.
Everything we learned from that experience, plus a lot of new R&D, is being
incorporated into the K4. (It's an exciting radio. For me, every morning
it's a battle of wills to stop playing with it and get my work done :)

We're looking forward to getting the K4 into customers' hands. Our suppliers
are coming back on line. And so are we ... but we're prioritizing the health
of our staff, which requires some heroics from the facilities department.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

delivered to pin...@erols.com