I own a KPA500 and KAT500.  Both work very well with my Icom IC-7610 but
operation could be improved if they could communicate with the Icom CI-V
bus.  I do not own a KPA1500 but from my research I see it can communicate
directly with the Icom CI-V bus to switch the amp AND the internal
tuner/antenna selector when connected to an Icom rig without any RF being
transmitted. The KPA500 and KAT500 have no such CI-V capability.

The Icom band data connection on the amp works but does not address the WARC
bands. There is no provision at all to communicate with the KAT500 so it
must RF sense to switch bands and select the correct antenna.  While this
works well when transmitting it is of no value when you are just listening
or scanning.  The KAT500 will remain on the last band and antenna where RF
was present.  For example, my KAT500 has a 75M dipole on ANT 1 and a
40M-10M fan dipole on ANT 2.  If I am listening on 75M and then switch
bands to 20M the KPA500 will switch bands using the band data cable I built
(but not on the WARC bands...) but the KAT500 remains on ANT 1 and tuned
for the 75M frequency.  Of course, this seriously attenuates the 20M
signals.

I would like to see a plug-in product that connects to the IC-7610 (or
other Icom), the KPA500, and the KAT500 that reads the Icom CI-V bus
commands and sets BOTH the KPA500 and KAT500 to the correct band without
transmitting, and in the case of the KAT500, also selects the proper
antenna for the frequency.  Since the KAT500 antenna is assigned per band
in the KAT500 programming I believe the KAT500 would only need to know the
frequency then it would select the proper antenna from its internal memory.

If such an Icom CI-V plug-in device already exists that addresses BOTH the
KPA500 and KAT500 issues outlined above please direct me to the product(s).

Thanks & 73,

Ken
WA2LBI