Hi Bill,

Thank you for your query. My K3 has the 400 Hz CW roofing filter. Because of
currently challenging conditions, I usually set my K3’s width control to 25 Hz.
My preferred audio frequency is 600 Hz.

Those were my K3’s settings when I tried to check into the Elecraft CW net last
evening.

I engaged the APF after nothing else worked. Following N6KR’s recommendation, I
used fine tuning (1-Hz steps). I tuned around slowly near the expected net
frequency of 14.050 MHz and suddenly heard net control Kevin KD5ONS calling at
14.05045 MHz.

I recognized Kevin, as I often do, by the rhythm of his sending. He was loud!
When I turned off the APF, he vanished.

I believe that tuning slowly in 1-Hz steps is the secret to making the APF
work.

I hope this helps.

73,

John, no8v