I sympathise with Andy's view, but there's another way of looking at it:

Suppose you like tha ancient art of conversation with strangers, which I do. In fact, I'm doing it now. Now, what strangers do you want to select from? There are the people next to you in line at the airport (or at least there were BC). There are the people on long distance trains. etc.

But to select for people who are interested and knowledgable about radio communications, other hams are a pretty good choice. And what better place to find them than on the air?

Yes, you can find them on this list, and we are blessed with some true experts. But what happens here is more like letter writing than conversation. For conversation you need faster response. Pick up a mic, key, or an interactive digital mode and have a conversation.

73 Bill AE6JV

In this case CW, PSK, RTTY, SSB, FM etc. etc. etc. are close to the end itself.