This is correct...there is skill and strategy involved with FT8.

Sure, on a relatively empty band you can set and forget and let the software do
all the work. Blindly call CQ and let others come find you. Yes, that could be
construed as watching paint dry or grass growing.

How often does an empty band happen? For me, and the times I’m on, never.

Our little segment of FT8 is usually jammed from side to side with stations. At
times it’s hard to get a word in edgewise. ;-)  (And don’t get me started on
the ops who grossly over modulate, spill out and take up half of our space…)

If there’s a specific station you want to work, there is strategy and timing
involved to increase your chances of making it into their decode window as a
red line. It’s not rocket science, but it’s not Ronco Ron Popeil (“set it and
forget it”) either. One can experiment with which window to start calling in,
and moving the transmit point around, often to good effect.

I have only gradually become aware of the strategy and timing aspects of FT8 by
using it a lot. Seeing what works and what doesn’t. And I’m still learning by
doing.

I offer this only as point of consideration for those who may not have thought
about it in this way. I’m not necessarily an FT8 evangelist. I love other
aspects of the hobby as much or more.

The beauty of this hobby is that you can take what you like and leave the rest
for someone else.

73,
David - N5DCH