Connecting to history and making history are not the same thing. Doing
things the same way they were done a hundred years ago may make a
"connection" for you. But hams are supposed to innovate,  invent and
increase the knowledge. So you buy or build equipment with way more ability
than to send simple CW, so you can do simple CW? Yes, CW is great stuff,
but it sure isn't innovative, nor does in increase the knowledge of
communication. As a group we should encourage others to explore new
communications systems, not denigrate them as "not REAL HAM RADIO". Some of
you people should be ashamed of yourselves for your attitudes. We do not
want Amateur Radio to die with our generation, so we should encourage new
folks to do new things, not talk down to them because they don't choose to
spend 99% of their operating time pounding brass. They don't give you
static about taking up bandwidth with your ancient operating mode, why
hassle them because they can make Qs below the noise level. Oh yes, my DXCC
certificate says "Mixed" on it. I quit counting when I got that.