Years ago in a land far-far away all video coax connectors in Broadcast
Television were UHF (PL259).
We only tightened them hand (finger) tight. In may places pliers would have
not fit any way.

In black & white days we would want to be flat from DC to around 8 MHz with
a smooth roll off to about 15 MHz.
Later in color most of the video distribution amplifiers were flat to even
25 MHz.

>From the late 60s to late 70s the connector density increased significantly
and we went to BNC for video & later for even audio when we converted to
digital audio distribution.

In a typical studio plant any discontinuity in video coax tended to show up
as a "ghost" in the video in black & white and in color the results could be
only described as Technicolor gone wrong. We rarely had discontinuities -
most of the time it was a poorly made connector or center migration due to
too tight a bent in the coax. I don't ever recall that tightening a
connector with pliers corrected these discontinuities. We solved the poorly
made connectors by going to crimp style of connectors.

When I became a Ham after retiring from Broadcasting - I had to go back to
using UHF connectors. First tool I bought was a coax connector crimp tool!
Unfortunately I could not afford the $300 to $500 tools for each coax size
that we had at work. I had to buy a much less expensive tool with
replaceable dies. Not quite as convenient & easy to use but much more cost
effective! Then again I wasn't going to be spending hours putting coax
connectors on cables.

A broadcast plant had many hundreds and probably thousands of uhf coax
connectors to deal with and a lot of experience in all conditions from fully
climate controlled (tape rooms) to harsh outdoors on ENG or SNG truck masts
going 60 or 70 MPH in rain, sleet and snow.
In fact when we replaced a 1,000' tower. We cut off the coax seal on
connectors that were maybe 20 or 30 years old - the connectors were bright
and shinny underneath!

Proper installation of the UHF connector is to make sure it is made
properly, and then properly mated by rotating the coax until the tiny
indentations on the female are found and mated with the male. Then tighten
it hand tight. If not indoors then seal the connection.

73
George AI4VZ