On 7/16/2020 2:25 PM, Gmail - George wrote:
I don't ever recall that tightening a
connector with pliers corrected these discontinuities. We solved the poorly
made connectors by going to crimp style of connectors.

There is a very large difference in signal to noise ratios and operating power levels between an analog video production facility and a ham station. 30-40 dB SNR is great for that broadcast plant, and unless it's colocated with the transmitter, far less exposure to RF than a ham station running legal limit. In our ham stations, we may need 100 dB or more rejection of RF; the 60 dB difference translates to a 1,000,000:1 power ratio and a 1,000:1 ration of voltage or current.

In addition to my own station, where I do a lot of serious contesting, I've long been part of teams that do serious county expeditions, and I read a lot to try to learn as much as possible from others who do it more, and at a higher level. Two admonitions from these folks who do it in the field stand out. 1) If anything is flaky in the station, ALWAYS suspect a bad piece of coax or badly terminated connector. 2) Always make sure that all connectors are wrench tight.

And I'll add my own -- NEVER use junk connectors or adapters anywhere in your station. For RF connectors, that means Amphenol (83-1SP w/no suffix for UHF) or used MIL-spec. For audio, that means Neutrik or Switchraft.

73, Jim K9YC