"I don't argue with the responders position, but have found that the participation of hams in emergency communications is not only welcomed, it is encouraged by groups like FEMA, Red Cross, Salvation Army and others on local, regional and national levels."

Well ... For about 8 years, I coordinated the amateur communications for the Western States Endurance Run [100 miles, Squaw Valley CA to Auburn CA via the historic Western States Trail] and the Tevis Cup endurance ride on roughly the same course.  Both events draw entrants from around the world. Required about 100-120 hams and maybe an equal number of non-licensed family/friends with FRS radios around each of the aid stations.  Primary mission was safety and evacuation, often coordinating directly with medical airlift aircraft, secondary mission was logistics.

These are large, grueling events with multiple hundreds of staff at 20+ aid stations.  Runners and horses will face ~18,000 ft of elevation gain, ~22,000 feet of descent, often run on snow and ice near the summit, in 110 degree heat in the lower canyons, and a 24 hour deadline.  Really not unlike a major disaster.

One thing we proved conclusively, without exception, is that possession of an amateur radio license does not automatically make one a competent radio operator when the mission is anything but a rag chew.  We had to establish training sessions on standardized phraseology, message handling, details of the event, procedures, how the chain of command worked, and the like.  Prior to the events, we coupled up trail marking and clearing operations into exercises.  It is way more work and there are way more details to being truly effective that most believed, and many who started the training did not finish.  We always paired a new "training graduate" with a seasoned operator having found that even with the training program, a rookie operator alone at a station sometimes was less effective and created more problems than no operator at all.

Amateur missions such as these are inherently local.  It is virtually impossible to show up somewhere with a radio and be effective unless the amateurs know the served agency and its mission well, are well known to the served agency, have a practiced plan and procedures, and are effective and professional communicators.  [See first sentence in 4th paragraph above].

If it seems I'm sort of camping with James, K8JHR, it's because, even though I don't own a gun right now, I am.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County