it is kinda legit :)
go to https://www.warca.org/
this project was started by Gene W3UA and company, check their "About Us"
section.

what they do - they try to maintain more or less leveled ratings for
contest ops.... not only by score, but also by power level and location.
something like if somebody took first place in CQWW from Maine and another
guy took second place from PA - his rating will be adjusted for PA location
and he might get a higher rating, because he was doing much better from PA
then somebody half-way closer to Europe...

Alex K2BB, #4968 in that list :)