No, this is not a trick question :)  And yes, I'm aware that most data mode
operation uses computer based modes like FT8 and JS9call these days. But read
on.

Of all the data modes available to ultralight adventures, RTTY is the easiest
to use, for three reasons -- assuming you have a KX3 or KX2:

- it's easy to tune in mark/space tones using the CWT display on the rig's LCD

- text decode appears immediately on the VFO B display -- no other gear required

- paddle-sent CW gets converted to RTTY while in FSK-D mode

- no need for a computer, smartphone, etc. to do demodulation

The K3/K3S, KX3, and KX2 all have these RTTY and PSK modes built-in, at
multiple baud rates.

I've made hundreds of Field Day and contest QSOs using RTTY on Elecraft rigs,
but I was wondering...has anyone tried RTTY on a SOTA outing?

If someone would like to experiment with this on a sked, I'd be happy to give
it a go.

I also have the vague notion that slower, nonstandard RTTY might be fun to
experiment with to improve SNR and reduce bit error rate during fading.
Thoughts on this topic would be welcome. It would be easy to add such a mode to
our KX line.

73,
Wayne
N6KR