Kevin,

    Be careful when doing these comparisons. A 1/4 wave over a ground plane unless it has a really good radial system may not be as efficient than your inverted L. What I would normally suggest is an A/B test using signal strength at the receiving station, but that has it flaws also, what's the pattern.

73,

Barry

K3NDM