The K3 APF has a very sharp peak (about 30 Hz @ 3 dB) but broader shoulders (about 300 Hz wide). It is not in the AGC loop, so any signals inside the bandwidth set by the bandwidth control may activate the AGC.

Therefore, if you have nearby strong signals, you should reduce the bandwidth to keep them from affecting the signal you are peaking with the APF.

But if you reduce the bandwidth below 300 Hz, then you will cut into the shoulders. This starts to have a negative effect on CW intelligibility. For some biological reason that I don't understand, the "context" provided by the shoulders helps overcome the ringing effect of the very narrow peak.

High noise levels also negatively impact the usefulness of the sharp peak, because of the ringing.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO