I checked carefully and the "funny noise" is definitely from the KXPA100.  It's unlike the relays switching to find a match, but more like a ringing, increasing in frequency.  Just twice. However I'm now convinced that my problem is RFI, thanks to all for the great advice.

Oh, and all my equipment is carefully bonded, EXCEPT the darned PC. OK, I'll do that next.

david KC1DNY

On 8/27/2020 1:39 PM, Mike Flowers wrote:
Sometimes, a line or cable is just the right fraction of a specific wavelength
to act as an efficient antenna, and RF will find it's way in.

With the digimodes your soundcard is involved, so if you're getting a 'funny
noise', that's where I'd look

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net>
On Behalf Of David Haines
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 10:32
To: donw...@embarqmail.com; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 radio settings for WSJT-X

Don:

Problem goes away when I reduce to 20W, the maximum for my dummy load.
I just put ferrites on mouse wires, keyboard wires, and sound wires and nothing
changed.  I guess I could add more, but ... .
Maybe my best solution is to go to wireless mouse and keyboard.  I intentionally
used wired because my cybersecurity son is against wireless... .

Still doesn't explain the funny noise from the KXP100, does it?

david KC1DNY