On 8/29/2020 5:16 AM, Rich NE1EE wrote:

> Even that would be easier if the country just bit the bullet and set
> a time limit on moving to metric. Then we'd all be on the same page.

The Metric Conversion Act goes back to the Ford administration in 1974
(*).  It is enforced slightly less than the Uniform Spitting on the
Sidewalk Act that predates it.  The main reason that we see it at all in
the US is than manufacturers dealing in world-wide markets do not want
to have two different production lines,

* My Ford sedan is built to metric standards...  :)

During my tenure, FCC rules and standards were rewritten to express
dimensions in metric, but the conversion from USCU wasn't smooth.  For
instance, one specification for certain antenna heights was "20 feet
above ground".  So what did the FCC do?  Changed it to "6.1 meters (20
feet) above ground".  Why not an even 6 meters??  Everyone still refers
to it as the "20 foot rule".

The neglected metric unit, although not past of the SI, is the gradian
(grad).  100 grads to a quadrant.  400 grads to a full circle. 1 grad =
0.9 degree.  It is used mainly in European surveying, but since May 2020
is legal for use in the US.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest