I used to travel to Malaysia quite often on business, and one of the guys who worked for me there as an ex-pat in Kuala Lumpur had gotten a 9M2 license.  So I went over to his apartment one evening with the intention of working some 40m CW as a guest op, but the background noise was a horrendous scratchy buzz that ran at least S9+30.  When I went outside to look around I could see why.  Malaysia gets a lot of rain, things are wet much of the time, and back then (at least 30 years ago) many of the electrical insulators on the overhead power lines were dirty with pollution.  I could see constant arcing across dozens of insulators.

I'm retired now and live on a reasonably quiet semi-rural hillside, and !sometimes! on a quiet evening my QRN level on 160m is down below S2 even on my Inverted-L.  Counting my blessings ...

73
Dave   AB7E