I grew up in So Central Los Angeles, 1/2 block from one of the original 2-circuit 230 KV transmission lines from Hoover Dam.  Several times a year, LA DWP came around with a tank truck and coupled it to a pipe running up the tower.  A guy climbed a ladder inside the tower, hooked up a nozzle at each of the three phases, and blew a water/air mixture at the insulators. then they moved on to the next tower.  My noise level always declined about an S-unit after the bath.

Often though, the problems aren't the insulators themselves but loose hardware on the pole that create micro-arcing.  Rain sometimes makes that noise worse, and wind really can.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County