Hi JR,

Virtually all class-AB-biased amplifier stages have worst-case 3rd-order IMD in
the range of -30 dBc (ARRL method) on some HF bands. This reflects a limitation
in the state of the art. Even with adequate feedback and bias, an amplifier
operated in the vicinity of its 1 dB compression point (where it is most
efficient) will exhibit such characteristics.

To improve on this you either need to operate class A, which is highly
inefficient, or use predistortion.

A small number of commercial transceivers are now providing predistortion, in
some cases as an optional/experimental setting (that not everyone uses, or at
least not all the time). There are constraints on predistortion power range
imposed by the headroom limit of the amplifier stage itself. Go over that point
and distortion will be worse than without predistortion.

Predistortion, correctly applied, can reduce interference between adjacent
stations on a crowded band. This is a factor at least some fraction of the time
during typical amateur radio use. Beyond that, the motivation for a “pure“
signal exemplifies the amateur spirit of cooperation, and is an example of
keeping the hobby on the forefront of electrical design.

Wayne,
N6KR

----
elecraft.com