I also have a Powerwerx SS30DV but I just use it only when I travel to the caribbean with my K3S. I home I use an Astron 70 amp linear power supply. This is obviously oversized but it was in my shack for a decades before buying an Elecraft transceiver. If weight is not an issue I would look at the Astron linear power supplies.

John KK9A

John Shingara WB3EYB wrote:

Hello everyone!

Like most here I am waiting for my K4. Currently I am running the Power Werx SS30DV from the Elecraft site for my KX3 and Kxpa100. I was planning on buying another for the K4 but thought I would ask opinions first. I am assembling my first real HF station and going the cry once route. I would rather pay a bit more up front and get something solid rather than saving a few bucks now only to upgrade later.

Given what I intend to spend on the K4, I don’t want to skimp on its PS if spending a bit more will improve performance. My budget is let’s say $500 and my question is would buying a bigger switching or linear PS for the K4 make sense? My KX3 PS has caused me no issues and if that is the way to go I am groovy.

Thanks!
John
WB3EYB