electret mic at all. To use an electret mic with those transceivers
one needs to install a "power adder" (5K6 Ohms resistor between pin
pin 5 (Kenwood) or pin 2 (Yaesu/Ten-Tec) and the tip of the CM500
and a 1 uF capacitor in series between tip of the CM500 and pin 1
(Kenwood) or pin 8 (Yaesu/Ten-Tec)) unless one is using the Yamaha
"battery box."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-11-07 5:42 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
Thanks for everyone's comments on the CM-500 headset. To bring my question about reattaching the mic boom full circle, I decided to throw money at the problem which seems to have made it gone away. :-)

I ordered a new CM-500 from B&H Camera and Video ($60, no tax, free shipping). It arrived a day early in good shape. It included the headset, two 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapters, one mono the other stereo, and a box that holds two AA cells which I haven't used. There were no instructions for use, but it did include the usual warning about using them with AC powered equipment in a hot tub, and hearing damage from playing them too loud.

The packaging said (in part), "Dynamic Microphone for Active Musicians". And specs: Operating range: 100-16000 Hz, Sensitivity -56dB 3dB (-36 dB 3dB V/Pa). Pattern: Uni-directional (cardiod).

I plugged it into my K3 and it worked as a direct replacement for the old one. When I turned microphone bias off in the menu it stopped working. By turning bias back on it started working again. (BTW, the Elecraft radios may be the only gear I own that doesn't automatically provide bias power.)

I managed to make a QSO with it, so it's working well enough to pass my call to the other end. I hope people on the SSB nets tomorrow will give an audio quality check.

73 Bill AE6JV

elecr