These are the steps I usually go through:

1.  Ensure PC has an accurate time source.  Verify against something like
https://time.gov <https://time.gov/>. If the website updates its seconds at the
same time as your system from a visual perspective, then you're close enough.

2.  If you are using an FTDI based USB to serial converter for CAT control, be
sure Serial Enumeration in the advanced properties for the COM port is
unchecked (it can do weird things to your system).  I also check the box to
disable modem control at start up.

2. In the WSJT-X settings ensure that Test CAT and Test PTT work correctly.  Be
sure that the Test PTT causes the radio to go into TX.  I use either CAT
control or H/W control for PTT trigger depending on what I can do with the H/W.
 I generally prefer H/W control.  It's faster in the system to flip a bit, then
to send a string a bits via the RS232.

3. Setup the Audio in WSJTX to point to the correct devices.

4. In the Windows Sound control panel ensure levels for both Recording and
Playback for the device in use for the radio are somewhat reasonable - say 75%.
 It's just a starting place.  Also be sure the devices are not the defaults -
that will prevent sounds being sent to the radio you don't want.  Can't tell
you how times I hear audio play back of either alerts or some streaming media
come through.   All newly plugged in sound devices are automatically made
default by Windows.  IMHO, it's a stupid thing for Windows to do and I've never
found a setting to prevent that.

5.  Check the receive is reasonable in WSJTX - generally between 40 and 60 on
the WSJTX meter.  Play with settings in the sound control panel and/or the
radio until things look right.

6. Set the radio for 0 power and hit the tune button in WSJTX.  The radio
should go into TX.

7. Using the Sound panel control for the radio playback device, the Pwr slider
in WSJTX and/or the radio mic gain, tune until ALC is just starting kick in.
On other Elecraft radios, that's usually the 5 ALC bar flickering.  I try not
to have any setting at the max.

If any step is not working, diagnose and fix that step before proceeding.  This
is what I have found works best for me.  Your mileage my vary.

73,
Joe, KO8V