Tom,
What a great history you have. I envy your photos on your QRZ page. My
folks did not have cash for casual pictures. I do not have a pix of my
BC348, ARC 5 or BC454 radios or the power supplies that I built to run
them.Back then power supplies were basically finding an old boob tube and
tearing it apart for transformer, rectifier tube, drilling out the
riveted octal sockets and cleaning up the terminal strips. A combine
knocked over a road sign and with some convincing from a hammer and angle
iron vice with C clamps became the chassis for a few things. It takes quite
a bit of wire cup brushing to get the red off the chassis. LOL.  Later I
got an Ameco transmitter, very similar to your transmitter in the pix. It
was fun. I got my first pink slip running an EICO 720. I was CW on 40 and
599+ on 20 into the FCC monitoring station. I was 14 then.  Everything at
that time was a twin lead fed dipole with an L network made from surplus
tuning units from old military equipment. I used a light bulb to tune the
radio and the hum of the transformer and the brightness of the bulb and I
was good to go. I remember working Malta on 15 meters during the winter. He
was on AM and I was running CW to him. I was 13 then. Unfortunately, I do
not have that QSL card. But I still have my first QSL card from WN9CNF. He
used a magic marker on an index card and sent it to me. I worked tossing
hay for cash and bought what stamps I could afford to send cards back.
Today I love LOTW.

I have never had a big DX station and never will. I am content to be a
little pistol with a 38 foot tower and 2 elements on 20-10. A vertical for
40 and inverted L on 80 then end loaded with a 174 microhenry coil for a
shortened 160 inverted L. All of this on a city lot with houses nearby. I
love my Elecraft radios and Amp. I am looking forward to learning SO2R
skills. Hopefully it will chase away alzheimers. Additionally, I am
thinking about buying a welder to learn TIG welding. I just can't decide if
i want to do aluminum or just everything else. AC or DC is the decision
factor. But again, I ramble. BTW, I have done anesthesia for many
electrophysiology labs for atrial ablation. I am now retired and your story
brings back many many memories, again dangerous visions of the past.

Keep well and strong,

73,
Morgan NJ8M

BS + MS + $2.98 = COFFEE
Real Life Experience = Priceless, says the man who set his back yard on
fire with a bread board tuner loading a 160 meter inverted L with 1000
watts. LOL