I strongly agree with Joe on this. The only thing I'll take exception is that I suspect his estimates of noise levels are wildly optimistic, which further supports his observations about sound card dynamic range. From where I sit with neighbors running WSJT-X modes on the same band, I look at dynamic range differently.

Consider a local who's 50 dB over S9 on a well calibrated S-meter (yes, that's optimistic too). If you accept 5 dB/S-unit (I don't), your lower limit is an S2 signal, or S1 at 6dB/S-unit. Few hams have noise levels below S5. Depending on band and the direction my antennas are listening, my noise level in the Santa Cruz Mountains with nearest neighbors ~400 ft from my antennas is S1-S2 with my 6M optimally aimed (to the North Pole) to reduce noise and S4-5 pointed at either two solar systems in those closer houses. While still in a Chicago residentail neighborhood, it was a very good day if I got below S6 on HF on very inferior antennas. You've got to be in the middle of NOWHERE with a 50dB over S9 neighbor to need more than a 16-bit sound card.

What you DO want is a much better than average sound card, which is why I've looked to the better units designed for the semi-pro audio market. One of the qualities of A/D and D/A stages important both to audio pros and to hams is their amplitude linearity around their noise floor (and very quiet audio stage feeding the A/D converter.

There's also the issue of how the units address differing sample rates.WSJT-X works at 16-bits, 48 kHz. If the hardware runs at 96 or 192 kHz, how good are they at the conversion. And so on.

73, Jim K9YC

Are you aware of any move afoot to support higher bit levels in
 > upcoming versions of popular software?

I have no insight into the roadmap for most amateur digital software.
However, I doubt that many developers will expend the effort to do
24 bit processing.  The 97 dB (theoretical) - 88 to 90 dB practical
dynamic range of a well designed sound card is quite adequate for most
HF purposes.

The "background noise" in suburban/semi rural areas is on the order of
-135 dBm (~0.05 uV).  That means a 90 dB dynamic range can handle from
the background noise to about S9+30 dB.  Using an attenuator or reducing
the RF gain in the presence of signals above S9+20 dB can extend the
useful dynamic range by another 20 dB or more.

The only use case for greater dynamic range would be for SDR purposes
where a very wide spectrum was being processed simultaneously or for
extremely "quiet" frequencies (e.g. VHF/UHF with antennas pointed to
a quiet part of the sky - EME or radio astronomy).  In the VHF/UHF
case, dynamic range (noise floor) can be improved much more economically
through the use of low noise preamplifiers (and receiving converters).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV