It occurred to me that might be the case after I sent the message. I'm a die-hard contester and have the tendency to view things through that filter. It's easy enough to simply re-tune the receiver when necessary to return to your transmit frequency, pretty much exactly like you'd have to do with the RIT knob. You can also do it without a manual re-tune. If you're running split and tune the receiver  (VFO A) slightly off your transmit frequency you can easily return the receiver to the transmit frequency by executing two front panel key presses: A/B followed by A>B. This first puts VFO A on your transmit frequency and the second equalizes the transmit and receive frequencies. You can easily assign the pair of keystrokes to a single macro and store it in one of the PF presets. That's what I do with my setup -- I then actuate the macros using the programmable buttons on my K-Pod. Once you get used to using the main tuning knob instead of the RIT knob you'll never want to go back.

73...
Randy, W8FN