Is the KUSB cable compatible with the K2?  Should have asked this before I
bought the cable.  My K2 has worked with a serial port adapter from Keyspan
for several years and with a variety of logging programs.
So I went with the KUSB.  When I connect it, the K2 does strange things.
Power control turned all the way down results in a nice 10 watt output  and
normal operation.  When Power control is turned up I get a HiCurr and LoPWR
error and the display only shows power, not frequency.

Please read the KIO2 documentation: any serial device may only be connected *if only pin 2, 3, 5* are connected. If you connect a serial device with the other pins connected, which the KUSB as well as most other devices have, *you can cause serious damage to your K2*.

It is essential that the other pins are left unconnected, they are used for other signals and the RS232 signals give voltages that cause damage.

So, if you use the KUSB, make sure to insert a short cable that ONLY connects these 3 wires, NOTHING ELSE.

How much damage is done partially depends on the hardware mod version of your K2. The "B" mods includes some modifications that should limit some of the most serious damage, like blowing up the main processor of your K2. There is a document somewhere that describes what damage a K2 suffers because of this; it's a long list

Despite the fact that the KIO2 sports a DE9 connector, it really isn't a standard serial port. In hindsight, Elecraft should have chosen a DE15 connector instead (making sure that a "VGA cable" would not cause damage. Ah well, too late now..

73, Geert Jan