How much damage is done partially depends on the hardware mod version of your K2. The "B" mods includes some modifications that should limit some of the most serious damage, like blowing up the main processor of your K2. There is a document somewhere that describes what damage a K2 suffers because of this; it's a long list

Apologies for replying to my own post - didn't want Dave to sustain any more damage! - but for those who have done the unthinkable and connected a regular RS232 device to KIO2, https://folk.universitetetioslo.no/sverre/LA3ZA/blog/K2/N0SS/k2_wrong_ser_cbl_damage.pdf should be helpful information.

Step 10 of the K2 "Upgrading the elecraft K2 to revision B" document on the Elecraft website has a valuable step that I missed when I did other upgrades.

BTW, if your K2 is the 10W version, you don't use the RS232 port and you don't have the "K2 amplifier keying circuit" that can be found on the Elecraft website, it is possible to put that circuit inside a DE9 connector hood: have a DE9-M connector that plugs in the KIO2, and a cable to key your amplifier. I added another transistor to switch a small LED so that the connector now lights up when the K2 is transmitting. I use this to key a chain of transverters for the QO100 satellite. And it avoids drilling a hole for the PTT key plug.

73,

Geert Jan