"It's not clear why this feature of the KPA500 is a "PITA," since the majority
of users want the rig and the amp. to always be locked to the same band.  "

And that is exactly why the band buttons are a PITA - If pressed they would
ensure that my KPA500 is NOT on the same band as my transmitter.

I don't have a K3 and the KPA500 band buttons control nothing except the KPA500
BPF selection.   Yes I could make them change bands on my TS-590S but my
station control is based on frequency not band.   Also, if I want to select
bands, I would do it with the TS-590 band buttons which each provide a 3 deep
frequency/mode stack.

I don't need any help.  I have effectively defeated the KPA500 band buttons but
I only added that code after I realized the risk they presented.

Andy, k3wyc