If you can't find a kit:  I modded my K1 to illuminate the LCD back in '03,
before the mod kit was available.  It's pretty easy to do (a white sticker, two
leds, and a resistor) and works very well, but it does require a
transreflective LCD in place of the original reflective one supplied back then.
I tried the mod with original LCD and it didn't work  IDK if later ones came
standard with the transreflective LCD.  If you have or can get a
transreflective LCD, I'd be happy to describe the mod and email some photos
that detail the mod and show the results.
Lou W7HV

    On Saturday, May 15, 2021, 8:14:08 PM MDT, David Thompson via Elecraft