VGA cables are incompatible with the KPA500 and KPA1500. You will need a
straight-through cable. BUT, you also need some pins removed. The power pin of
the K3 is not compatible with the power pin of the KPA500 or KPA1500, and will
result in the problems you have seen.
The cable is described in the KPA500 manual, rev E1 on page 45. I’m not sure
where it is in the KPA1500 manual, but I would be surprised if we didn’t
include the same table there.

73,
Jack, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering