Don,

Managed to do a little diagnosis.

I pulled the MAX1406 chip KPA100 U4.

I see proper continuity between pin 12 of U4 and pin 25 of the MCU, and pin 11
of U4 and pin 26 of the MCU.

Going back, I checked out the Vdd, Vss an Vcc voltages on U4.

Vdd is 14 volts
Vcc is 5 volts
Vss is -5 volts

It looks like, from the specification of the MAX1406 chip, it needs more like
-10 volts to work correctly.

I measured these on the scope before, so I only got vague responses.

I guess I’ll be investigating the Vss supply.