I can see that for the radios themselves, but something like an IO board
seems less likely to have competitively clever design tricks in it.

I can also see keeping the designs of even simple expansion boards secret
while the radio is actively being sold, since cheaper clones would threaten
the profit needed to recoup the R&D on the boards, plus the clones might
use inferior parts.

But it does seem like, at this point, releasing a schematic and board
design would be helpful to users with less downside to Elecraft.

73,

Julie