The trick is to get a small blob of fresh melted solder on/in the tip of the
desoldering tool.  It will stay there as you slowly insert the enameled wire
through the blob and into the tip of the tool an inch or so, melting off the
insulation as you go before activating the vacuum.  Practice a couple of times
on scrap wire to get the non-critical timing right and build your confidence.

I’ve only tried fine (22 - 30) gauge or so wire typical of QRP or receiver
designs.  For a high-current heavy gauge wire used in power applications, I
suspect some combination of the usual sanding, burning, and scraping would be
appropriate.

It really is brilliant!  I wish I could remember who I got the idea from years
ago, but I thought it such a good “secret” that I promised (mentally) to pass
it along periodically - particularly when the subject comes up.  Like most,
until that point I struggled sanding, burning, scraping… to get enameled wire
clean enough for soldering, never confident the job was well done.  No longer
with this method.

Merry Christmas,
Steve
AA8AF