First, thanks for all the replies.

Now to the findings.

1) use of “|” to nuke diddles - does not work for me.

HW is KX3 #10868, MCU software 2.95, DSP 01 52.
Set for FSK D.

When sending from KX3 utility, terminal window ( last tab ), there is no
extended diddle.

When sending from Command Tester/ KX3 macros, extended 4 sec diddle is present
and pervasive :-).

Following sends ( from the testing line, or from the macro ) do not nuke
diddle:
KY CQ TEST KU1T|;
KY CQ TEST KU1T |;
KYW CQ TEST KU1T|;
KYW CQ TEST KU1T |;
KY CQ TEST KU1T; KY |;
KY CQ TEST KU1T; |;

2) KX3 owner’s manual, C5, pp 18

"• The KX3 adds a 4-second “idle time” (giving you time to decide what to say
next) after you stop sending. To terminate the idle period quickly, send

the character . . - - in CW. This “IM” prosign can also be inserted at the end
of message buffers."

What is left is how to send . . - - in CW when operating FSK D… or how to
insert a CW IM prosign ( which supposedly translates to | ) at the end of the
buffer. "

Entering | does not work for me as described above.

The programming manual Rev G4, Nov 2018, pp 15:
"
@ In CW mode, this character normally terminates any CW message (via KY or
manual send), emulating the K2. However, tapping 2 in CONFIG:CW WGHT changes
‘@’ to a prosign: the ‘at’ sign as used in e-mail addresses. This is the newest
Morse Code character; it can be remembered as the prosign ‘AC’ (as in “the At
Character”).

^D (EOT, ASCII 04) Quickly terminates transmission; use with CW-to-DATA.
“

While it likely work with CW-data ( not tried here), any attempt to insert ^D
(via Alt-004 method of entering ASCII codes) or @ sign does not trim the
diddles.

What finally worked for me:

In N1MM, the following Fn key assignment sends the string and immediately trims
the diddle:

F1 CQ, {CATA1ASC KYW CQ TEST DE KU1T CQ;}{CAT1ASC RX;}

Why my KX3 ignores | - have no idea. If anyone can verify that the | works for
him, or tell me what I am doing wrong - I will be grateful; for now I have a
solution - an ugly working solution beats slick nonworking one.

See you on the bands !

73, de KU1T
_zjt