Victor,

To answer your question directly, no, NAT does not provide adequate security
... for anything.

The best NAT can do is provide obfuscation, or “security by obscurity” which
has been proven beyond the shadow of any doubt to be no security whatsoever.
It just hides information that can be gotten through other means.

NAT is strictly for IPv4 and is thus unable to protect IPv6 hosts in any way,
unable to defend against man in the middle attacks, injections into existing
connections, port scanning attacks, internal willing host attacks….I dunno I
could probably go on but maybe you get the idea.

It seems that all attacks assume there is a NAT component somewhere in the
chain and are well prepared to defeat it as a matter of course. And they can in
very short order.

All NAT really accomplishes is it gives us the means to have way more IPv4
machines than we have address space for.  It’s not security of any sort.  I
don’t think it ever was.

If you are relying solely upon NAT to protect your home network, that you have
not already been hacked is just a matter of luck.  I run a commercial quality
firewall on my network (thanks to almost 40 years of working in IT) and I get
scanned, probed and prodded all the time.  Nearly all of them would have
defeated a NAT without firewall in a matter of seconds.

Now, if you have a firewall along with your NAT device, and my experience is
that many modern ISP devices do both firewall and NAT together, then as long as
you have not opened up ports or disabled firewall rules, then you are probably
OK.  But the key point here is that you have a firewall.  Security is really
outside of NAT’s wheelhouse.

73,
Dave - N5DCH