On 24/02/2022 20:58, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
In January in the middle of a QSO, the Elecraft transceiver stopped working. I
got return authorization and returned the transceiver to Elecraft for service.
They say that because of the number of units returned to them, it will be
another 2 months before they can get around to mine. So I'm off the air for 3
months..
So what to do?

So, what failed? We're licensed radio amateurs and have done exams on radio electronics; hence should know a thing or two about the inner workings.

Given that common faults are known and probably have been discussed on-list, there are people here who know the radio well and there are even the odd comments from techs on this list, I would have not send the radio without self-investigating the fault.

I've done repairs on most of my Elecraft kit and in many cases it is something simple: connector issue, erratic encoders. Several issues are published by Elecraft and you can easily do the re-work tourself. What I didn't know I asked and the lists have been good. The one exception is that getting Elecraft to fix firmware bugs for older products (K3, P3, KX2, KX3) has been difficult; since the software is closed-source this is a problem.

If anything, my future interest would be something with the hardware of elecraft but using an arrangement where once software development from the manufacturer has ended, maintenance can be done using open source.

Geert Jan