To: "Nick Waterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Dave White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] RE: IF Shift thoughts

Nick Waterman wrote:
Dave White wrote:

I like this idea.  Perhaps the IF shift function could be assigned via
the PF1 or 2 buttons to another control besides the VFO - the keyer
speed comes to mind.

Damned fine point... If IF shift is rarely useful for CW, and Keyer
speed is never useful for SSB, then why bother using PF1/2 at all? Why
not just use that knob as IF shift in modes "U"/"L" and Keyer speed in
mode "C"?

Guys you will need a way to know which direction your shifting the IF. I have a radio with IF-Shift and I use it on SSB. We have a small New Mexico net on 3.939 and their is a group that meets the same time on 3.401. Under the present conditions the 3.401 guys are stronger than my net people :-)

So that I can hear my people with a little distortion I shift my IF down until my passband is below the bottom of the 3.401 signals. This works pretty well but is far from perfect. A perfect fix is to spread out more so you don't have to use IF-Shift. 8-)

73 Karl K5DI