Hhhmmm... I'm coming late to this thread, as I wasn't paying attention
before.

Please forgive me if I have missed something but -

I have, in the past, used both a K3S AND an old Yaesu FT-101ZD with my
KPA/KAT 500 power combo.  I *THINK* that is similar to what Jim is trying
to do.

Here is what I found, if it helps.

When the K3S is on, it communicates with the KAT/KPA.  However, when it is
turned off, it leaves the KPA/KAT in a state where they are not prepared to
accept input.  I forget the specifics, because I have since provided the
101ZD with it's own amp.

Try this - Turn off the K3S.  Turn off the KPA.

Turn the KPA back on, with the other radio connected to the RF input and at
least an RCA keyline connected for the PTT.  See if it works.

IIRC, this was what I had to do.

If anyone needs the specifics as to WHY it works that way, I can try to dig
out the old emails with Elecraft.  And, it's been a while so I may be
mis-remembering the details.  But, I know it worked.

I hope this helps...

73 de Chuck, WS1L

chandler...@gmail.com