Barry and Friends,     There was once a rule in RCA that no component was used
that did not have a minimum of two manufacturing sources.   Limiting in ways
but like derating components not a bad approach.   Then again RCA Computer
Division went bankrupt and ultimately brought the whole corporation with it.
Major Armstrong you are allowed a smile.     I have also seen a small division
of ABB closed because of problems with electrolytic capacitors not being
derated.   It is a treacherous place out there.   Look at all the great marks
which are no longer with us.    I pray Elecraft overcomes the repair department
problems and is with us for decades past my own demise.    73 Doug EI2CNSent
from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Barry Baines via Elecraft
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net> Date: 21/04/2022  21:20  (GMT+00:00) To: David
Gilbert <ab7e...@gmail.com> Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re:
[Elecraft] Elecraft Service Dave:> On Apr 21, 2022, at 2:11 PM, David Gilbert
<ab7e...@gmail.com> wrote:> > > For most other brands you can find a repair
center somewhere certified by the manufacturer.  Elecraft has never done that,
and now that they no longer support replacement modules and appear to have
significantly pared down their own repair services, I will pretty much be left
high and dry if my K3 should suffer any failure unless I can figure out how to
fix it myself.> > I bought my K3 for two reasons ... its performance and its
modularity which promised long term support for upgrades and repair.  The
performance is still near top notch, but I was seriously mislead on the long
term support and if I ever buy another rig it won't be Elecraft.I guess the
obvious question to ask is whether a company other than Elecraft currently
meets your expectations, and if so, what are their distinguishing
characteristics that would meet your expectations?  How “long term” is long
term? As a user of both Elecraft and FlexRadio products, my experience is that
in today’s world we’re purchasing an ‘ecosystem’ and not just a ‘radio.’
Flex’s current ecosystem (6xxx series, PGXL, TGXL, etc.) was initially
announced at the 2012 Hamvention with the 6700 but it wasn't until 2017 that
the 6xxxx series met performance promises, 2018 when the PGXL was released, and
2021 when the TGXL was released.  There was also the Maestro released in 2016
but is currently unavailable as is being redesigned (again) because the tablet
that is embedded in it is no longer available.  Presumably the “C” version will
be available late this year.  We shall see.  On top of that was the
introduction of SmartSDR for iOS, SmartSDR for Mac,  and DogPark SDR for Mac.
It remains to be seen whether a 3rd party will ever develop SmartSDR for
Android or SmartSDR for Linux.  The introduction of these software packages
along with Maestro makes the Flex system extremely versatile, but at relatively
significant cost and ‘wait time’ for these capabilities to be introduced.On the
Elecraft side,  one could argue that the KPA1500 was the kickoff of the ’next
gen’ Elecraft line when it was introduced in 2017 and delivered in 2018.  As I
recall, the K4 series was announced at Hamvention in 2019 and with all of the
"external challenges” (Covid, supply chain issues, California wildfires, etc.)
it wasn’t until 2021 that first deliveries were made.  I understand that there
are still features to be released such as remote operation.  I have no idea how
much production backlog they currently have or when they’ll produce the various
iterations such as kits. I don’t know the status of the K4D or K4HD.  So at
this point one might come to the conclusion that at this moment after 10 years
of “evolution” the Flex product line is at full stride where customers (with
the exception of Maestro) can order online and have their product shortly
thereafter.   As I recall, Flex did bring 6xxxx series production back ‘in
house’ (I believe in 2020) when 3rd party production problems arose.   An
underlying question is the long term prospects of sourcing parts for the
current generation 6xxx series.  Evolving parts may well force a redesign and
that in turn could turn the product development cycle back on its head
again.Down-the-road as Elecraft continues its development and production of the
K4, they will at some point reach their goal of providing a multifaceted K4
with the appropriate firmware/software options.  I have no idea how long that
development time will be, but my conclusion is that the creation of the new
‘ecosystem’ is what we’re now experiencing, not simply the creation of a
‘radio.’  Elecraft’s vision to produce such a product line means that
purchasers will likely have an ‘evolutionary’ experience with these products
where new/updated/upgraded features are released as they are developed.  I’m
happy with my K3 system (K3-KPA500-KAT500 + P3) and will use it until it fails.
A year ago yesterday (20 APR 21) I ordered and paid for the
KIO3BUPKT-FullDep_KIO3B Upgrade Kit for K3.  At this point I have no idea when
it will be delivered.  I ordered it to extend the useful life of the K3.  At
some point down the road should my K3 system become unrepairable, I’ll then
worry about whether to replace it with something else or simply continue to use
the Flex system only.  In the meantime, I’ll enjoy what I have.Bottom line is
that Elecraft and Flex both produce excellent products.  What’s changed over
the past 10 years is the nature of the product itself and the associated
“product line” where hardware and software/firmware development have
significant impacts on product availability and capability leading to an
‘evolving’ product line.  FWIW,Barry Baines, WD4ASW/5Keller, TX> > 73,> Dave
AB7E> > > On 4/21/2022 11:48 AM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:>> One simple question
(with no implied or stated answer):>> >> What would make a K3 a poor choice
now, compared to other (used) brands?>> >> It still works better than many
(most) other brands, the only real risks are lack of parts when repairs are
needed, as with any other brand and no more updates (which only a FEW brands
offer at all, if ever).>> >> With the jump to the K4, some K3 are available for
sale and STILL sold within minutes to hours of posting.>> >> The question is
simple; the answer is personal and complex.>> >> 73,>> Rick NK7I>> K3, P3,
KPA500, K4, KPA1500 (and Kenwood, Icom, others)> >