The answer to your question is simple.  My "expectation" was based upon what Elecraft told us back then.  Whether I had any right to believe it or not, Elecraft advertised their products as having long term support because the design of the radio was modular and subassemblies could be replaced as they were superceded by newer designs, failed, or were damaged.

I'm not complaining because the K4 and other radios have features that the K3 does not.  My K3 currently works fine, but if the fragile KIO3 board fails my K3 will become useless for serious contesting.  I'm complaining because Elecraft simply decided not to honor the support promises they made in their advertising back when I bought the radio.  It was a decision they purposefully made, and obviously not one forced upon them by parts shortages or any other such excuse because they offered a final run of units to anyone who wanted to buy one ... either in addition to what they had or on contingency against future loss.

You have twisted this thread to one of no further improvements when the concern is lack of support for existing gear.  There is a difference of about 50 years between your old GTO and my K3.  As I stated earlier, Elecraft could at least assist some third party to take over the functions they no longer want to provide, but they have shown no apparent inclination to do so.

Dave   AB7E