On 22/04/2022 13:15, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Many of you have already articulated the present challenges we and other
electronic companies face. It comes down to two things: the design lifetime of
modern, miniature components like ICs and connectors; and a fickle supply
chain--one that imploded because of events of the past two years.
I can promise that we'll do everything possible to keep ahead of these issues.

I think it boils down to two issues, one that Elecraft can cannot fix and one that Elecraft can fix and IMHO should fix:

1. People really should try to order some parts - like processors or advanced chips. You will be surprised, as I have, that for some trivial parts the lead time now can be 18-24 months or more. If that part is broken on your radio, we should all understand that Elecraft cannot fix the radio - for 18-24 months if it is this part that has failed. This we cannot blame on Elecraft - no parts == no repair. At my QRL we recently started paying $1000 for a $35 part through a broker because of this mess. For my QRL, the $1000 is feasible - I am pretty sure this won't go for an Elecraft radio

2. However, I hear "Elecraft has not touched my radio for XX months". That is a problem, and that is something Elecraft should fix. While I realize that "wait 18 months for part" still won't give cheering customers, at least then it is clear that the cause then is the parts shortage, not delays in handling.

Personally I've always repaired my Elecraft equipment (K2, K3, P3, KX2, KX3 and assorted things) and Elecraft has been good at supplying part numbers for over-the-shelf parts. Given the cost of shipping something from Watsonville to PA0 (you'd need to mortgage the house!), I am very happy with this support.

73, Geert Jan PE1HZG