Hi Dick,
The variable crystal filters in the K2 are very good.  In fact the best I
have ever used.  As Don says, unless you have a bad component, crystal
filtering should be excellent down to about 250 Hz, and the DSP down to 100
Hz before you get a bit of attenuation of signal.  You can even boost the
volume a bit in the DSP adjustments.  I originally had similar problems to
you when I first built the rig  in 1999.  Now I use MixW to check the
filters visually.  You can also use Spectrogram.

Pictures don't lie.  I have some MixW screens shots on my website here.  I
think it would be hard to get these kind of results with most other ham
transceivers.
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's%20Page/Radio/RTTY/RTTY.html
>From the photos alone the performance of the filters look phenomenal.

If you adjust the filters while looking at the MixW screen you can get
instant feedback on the adustments you are making and easily adjust the
filters perfectly.  Centering the filters this way is a snap.

One of the reasons for the great popularity of the K2 is that you don't need
to add any filters.

Regards,
Steve, W2MY