On 6/7/2022 8:04 AM, Dave (NK7Z) wrote:
Thanks in advance for any help in this...

I use a P3/SVGA to measure signal bandwidth (and before I had the SVGA board, used the P3). It's dynamic range is 100 dB, but the screen can display only 80 dB. A rig with decent phase noise performance is well below that.

See http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf which compiles measurements done in ARRL Labs. The plotted data are ARRL measurements in electronic form for a dozen or so rigs, re-plotted on the same graph. I did this work in 2014; it was motivated in part by complaints by WRTC participants, and the rigs chosen were those they used, and other mainstream rigs popular at the time.

Phase noise from a CW signal is heard as a "whooshing" sound away from the signal, and is what makes cheap rigs unwelcome on Field Day. It extends hundreds of kHz away from the transmitter frequency. It's also present, of course, on SSB and digital modes, and is also present in receive.

This was a LOT of work that required a lot of cooperation with ARRL Labs, and I have no interest in re-doing it for today's rigs.

73, Jim K9YC