In a message dated 8/13/06 7:56:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> If you don't have it, I'll send you a PDF of the "Cost Reduction Study"
> report Collins did that lead to the R390A.

I'd really like a copy - thanks! I think others would too.

> > The story goes like this:
> >
> > Back during the Cold War, No Such Agency

> > It is my understanding that, long after the F9C system was in operation,
> an
> > electronically steered RDF system using the receivers *was* developed!
> >
> > All ancient history now.
> >
> I worked for the FCC as an engineer for several years after EE graduate
> school and had an opportunity to visit a monitoring station. As I
> recall, they used 51J4's for general listening and Racal 17 (US model
> numbers RA117 and RA6117) for DF use with the Wullenwebber array.

I don't know if the R-390/R-725 were used with the Wullenwebber system or
something else. Either way, it makes sense that the phase characteristics of
the
mechanical filters were a problem.

The

> RA17 series receiver used LC filters for wider bandwidths and a crystal
> lattice filter for the narrower bandwidths. The military used the same
> Wullenwebber antenna system (elephant cages) and I had heard (but never
> seen one in person) that they used R390's.

Or R-725s, which would look very similar.

> >> Drake's first R4 used 50 KHz IF for selectivity but later receivers went
>
> >> to crystal filters.
>
> > Actually the R4, R4A, and R4B all used LC filtering at 50 kHz for
> selectivity
> > and passband tuning. Only the R4C used all-crystal filtering.
>
> My first Drake was a R4C.

A family of HF ham receivers that bridged the change from low-frequency LC
selectivity to HF crystal filters. R-4B and the Drake 2-B/2-C family may have
been the last manufactured ham rxs to use LC IF filtering for
multiple-bandwidth
selectivity.

> > Could it be that obtaining a suitable FM-bandwidth filter was easier/less
> > expensive (for Motorola, anyway) with LC circuits?
> >
> The design problem with FM filters is both bandwidth and ensuring group
> delay specs are met, as otherwise audio distortion is an issue. My
> junkbox also has a wideband 70 MHz center frequency IF filter from a
> Western Electric analog microwave system. It has a bandwidth of 10 or 20
> MHz and excellent group delay characteristics, which, of course, were
> essential for a microwave system carrying hundreds of multiplexed analog
> SSB channels.

By contrast, IIRC, RCA made some mechanical filters for receivers they
provided to the military in the 1950s. From what I read, they were just
different
enough from Collins design that they avoided patent infringement. They were
also
(allegedly) quite fragile.

  > > Well, I graduated EE school in 1976, and by then programs like SPICE
> were
> > part of the curriculum. Still batch processing, though, but the whole idea
> was
> > neither new nor revolutionary then.
> >
> In my senior year (1968) the engineering department was bringing on line
> a remote access time share system using IBM-selectwriters (IBM golf-ball
> typewriter type terminals) but it was highly experimental and was down
> more than it was up. My course in computer programming (Numerical
> Methods) was oriented towards solving physics problems.

Perhaps my timeline was a bit too soon. By the time I was in EE school (fall
of 1972), SPICE and other circuit-simulation-by-computer stuff was common at
the school I went to. Perhaps it was a lot more recent than I realized at the
time.

73 de Jim, N2EY