[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 5:32 PM

By contrast, IIRC, RCA made some mechanical filters for receivers they
provided to the military in the 1950s. From what I read, they were just different enough from Collins design that they avoided patent infringement. They were also
(allegedly) quite fragile.

The alleged fragility of the RCA mechanical filters might well have been a story put out by the competition. I was involved at that time in the design of the 100w variant of RCA's SSB-1 which used RCA's mechanical filters, as did at least one of RCA's higher powered ISB rigs. I cannot recall any feedback from the field related to the filters.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD