A lot of hams have no clue on how to properly set TX gain on digital modes.
There are so many variations of radios and interfaces that having a standard is
almost impossible.

I have seen signals so bad that I cannot even decode them.

The K4 FT8 setup procedure is documented well. I would like to see more
accurate TX audio level instead of 5 bars of ALC but it seems to work.

My other radio (Flex 6600m) has a TX audio level meter with peak indicator that
stays yellow as level approaches zero then goes red if level is over zero and
clipping is then applied.

Quite a few people use older radios for Field Day and use analog interfaces
such as a Signal Link and they are harder to get set correctly.

Dave wo2x

Sent from my iPad