* On 2022 26 Jun 17:18 -0500, Jim Rhodes wrote:
> They weren't only on digital modes like that. Plenty of "all knobs all the
> way to the right" operators on phone too. Of course that is nothing new on
> Field Day.

I think there was at least one who didn't have the knob far enough to
the right.  On the morning traffic net we had a station come up to pass
a Field Day message.  The SSB audio was so poor that even though the
signal strength was adequate, it was pinched to very high audio
frequencies and only had adequate voice power on emphasized syllables
and then it dropped down so far that it was unintelligible.  Two of us
experienced ops with home stations could not make out the complete
message after several tries.

The operator notes on the QRZ page to be almost completely a CW op.  I'm
not sure if this was the op's first attempt at SSB or if the TX audio was
never set up over the air with an experienced SSB op.  It's also
possible the op has an unfortunate voice disability, I don't know as I'd
never heard the op on the net frequency before.  I do hope the issue is
sorted with a trusted friend.

We have to be willing to inform other ops when there are even minor
issues and accept reports of such issues with our own signals with
grace.

73, Nate, N0NB

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB