Availability of components falls into two categories:

1.  readily available

2.  difficult to get in a timely fashion

3.  obsolete

Elecraft discontinued products that fell into all three categories ... not only the third.  Most of what they no longer sell is because they made a decision they weren't forced to make due to external considerations.  They simply elected to focus on the K4 to the exclusion of previous models.  For me, that falls outside of the commitments they made when I bought my K3 with it's supposedly modular nature that according to their sales pitch at the time would allow the availability of retrofitted (potentially upgraded) subassemblies even in the face of component obsolescence.  They did exactly that with the new synths while they still had the K3s ... they just completely jumped ship once they came out with the K4.

I don't have my head in the sand ... I just apparently have a better memory than you and unlike you I don't have friends working at Elecraft to color my judgement.

Dave   AB7E