I have had a K1 here for some time now and it did not get a lot of attention.
I was not all that happy with how fast it tuned.
Well.. anyhow last week I had extra time on my hands so pulled out some of the neglected rigs.
Found the K1 was a good rig.. made decent contacts.
But I did find I needed to exercise 'safe cracker' fingers for the tuning... once I did that there was not a big issue. The other thing I did was find one of the few wire coat hangers in our house (most hangers were nicer ones with padding, or wood etc.as to not crease etc the clothing)... cut the hanger as per instructions for DIY bail stand that have been on the Elecraft mail list....well I did it best I could via the written guide lines (no photo available).. and 'VIOLA' and Bob is your uncle as they say --- I had a nice bail stand mounted on the K1 so I could see the display and knobs and not have to stare at it from desk surface level...HI.

Brian VE3HI