A vertical dipole does not need high above ground to work well.  A good
shortened 160m antenna is a vertical dipole with the ends pulled into a C shape
to reduce the height.

John KK9A

Wayne Burdick n6kr wrote:

We studied this. To provide any advantage over a vertical AX1 with a single
counterpoise wire, an AX1 dipole would have to be well over a quarter
wavelength above ground, with both halves tuned to resonance, and fed with
low-loss coax and a balun or balanced feedline. Even then the advantage is
small and only in the dipole's broadside directions.

That said, a pedestrian-mobile version of the dipole held a few feet above the
operator's head would eliminate the dragged counterpoise. I'd be concerned
about nearby trees and ogling passersby.

73,
Wayne
N6KR